17 July 2009

Tarte aux pommes

I knew I had to do something French to celebrate Bastille Day, la fête national française, on Tuesday. While listening to bad French pop music and adolescently angsty French pop-rock was inevitable, I decided to try something a little more à la française: baking!

For my first foray into French baked goods, I chose a very simple, but tasty treat: la tarte aux pommes. During my year in Paris, I ate a number of wonderful apple tarts and it came to be one of my favorite French desserts. Combined with the fact it’s a cinch to make, the tart was a no-brainer choice. (The super easy recipe follows below).

I had a great time singing along to French songs and baking the tarte in my Parisian-sized kitchen. Oh, la nostalgie! Plus, my co-workers praised my tasty concoction.

It was nice to bring a bit of France to Columbus.

TARTE AUX POMMES



Ingredients:
2-5 Golden Delicious apples (amount depends on size of apples and size of crust)
Lemon Juice (juiced yourself or purchased in those handy lemon-shaped containers)
2-3 tbs of Sugar
1 tsp of Cinnamon
2-3 tbs of melted margarine or butter
1 Pie Crust (you can make your own if you so desire)

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Peel, core and slice as many apples as you’ll need to fill the crust. Brush the exposed parts of the apples with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.

Arrange the apple slices in concentric circles within the pie crust. Try to fit in as many slices as possible.

Sprinkle some of the sugar and cinnamon over the tart, then spoon the melted butter on top. Add the rest of the rest of the sugar and cinnamon and you’ve good-to-go.

Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the apples are golden brown.

Serve cool or warmed up with a dollop of strawberry Bonne Maman jam on top.

Voilà et bon appétit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummm. I made a clafoutis within my first week home, and I even made a flammenkueche for my birthday! It turned out just as bacon-y and delicious as the real thing.

How's your job going? Tu me manques, ma belle!

(it's Jamie; I can't remember my blogger password!)